They may be shaped like waffles, but really, they’re just hash browns cooked extra crisp with the magic of your waffle iron! Garlic Gold® Oil helps them get super crunchy on the outside, while our Sea Salt Nuggets add tons of seasoning and flavor all throughout.
If you want to keep your hash browns warm for a little while (up to an hour or so), simply keep them in a warm oven on a cooling rack, placed on top of a sheet pan. Then, while the hash browns are staying nice and toasty, you can whip up a batch of our Eggs Benedict, or any of your other favorite breakfast foods to go alongside.
We use a chiefly trick for getting our hash browns extra crispy, squeezing out the liquid from the potatoes before cooking. It really does help you achieve that beautiful, golden brown crust.
-Coco Morante, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold®
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil (plus more for the waffle iron)
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Drape a flour sack cloth or kitchen towel over a bowl. Peel and shred the potatoes into the cloth-lined bowl. Gather up the corners of the cloth, making a bundle for the grated potatoes. Over the sink, twist the cloth to squeeze as much liquid as possible from the potatoes. Return the shredded potatoes to the bowl, setting the towel aside.
- 2. Add the Garlic Gold® Oil, Sea Salt Nuggets, and black pepper to the potatoes. Stir to combine.
- 3. Heat the waffle iron, drizzle it with a small amount of Garlic Gold® Oil, then spread out a layer of the potatoes in the waffle iron (about one loosely-packed cup per waffle). Cover and cook until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy, 8-10 minutes.
- 4. Serve the hash browns while they’re hot and crispy, with fried eggs on top or alongside other breakfast foods. If you won’t be serving the potatoes right away, keep them warm on a cooling rack in a 200ºF oven, uncovered, for up to an hour.