To prepare fava beans, simply remove them from the pod, then blanch the beans for a minute or so in boiling water, rinse, and drain. Next, peel off their tough, pale green outer skins. Inside you’ll find vibrantly colored beans, ready to be sautéed for an easy side dish. You can do all of this prep work ahead of time — the shelled beans will keep for a couple days in the fridge.
Serve the flavorful, sautéed beans alongside pan-grilled sausages for an easy weeknight dinner, then fold them into a frittata or omelet the next morning if you’ve got any leftovers.
- 3 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces shelled and peeled fava beans
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Gold® Nuggets
- In a medium (10-inch) skillet, heat the Garlic Gold® Oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and sea salt to the skillet. Sauté for five minutes, until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the fava beans to the skillet and sauté for another five minutes.
- Toss in the green onions and Garlic Gold® Nuggets, turn off the heat, and serve.