Juicy, tender tri tip steak is a California classic. It’s often cooked outside on the grill, but we love to roast it in the oven, too! It has amazing flavor thanks to Garlic Gold® Southwest Nuggets, the star ingredient in our dry rub marinade. Combined with a little salt and pepper, they’ve got all of the savory spice you need.
Serve your tri tip thinly sliced — when cut against the grain, it’s perfectly tender. Fold slices of the steak into tortillas for a great taco dinner, with plenty of veggie toppings alongside!
- ⅓ cup Garlic Gold® Southwest Nuggets
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tri tip roast (about 2-2 ½ pounds)
- In a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, process the Southwest Nuggets, pepper and salt until they form a fine powder.
- Sprinkle the mixture all over the tri tip roast, rubbing it in. Let marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and put the roast in a roasting pan or other baking dish.
- Roast the tri tip for 25 minutes, then check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. Continue to cook the roast until it measures 135-140ºF in the center, re-checking the temperature every 5 minutes or so. You can also use an oven-safe probe thermometer -- just set it to 135ºF, insert the probe in the thickest part of the roast, and remove the roast from the oven when it reaches temperature.
- Transfer the roast to a carving board and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Slice the tri tip thinly against the grain. For an easy steak taco dinner, serve it with warm tortillas, shredded cabbage, sliced avocado, cilantro, and lemon wedges to squeeze over the top.