- 8 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced in ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium bunch collard greens, rinsed well, ribs removed and cut into julienne pieces, ½ cup reserved for garnish
- 1 pound leeks, stems trimmed and rinsed thoroughly, white and light green parts cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 12 ounces red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- ¼ cup Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- 3 Tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup half and half
- Additional Garlic Gold® Nuggets and freshly ground pepper
- Additional hot sauce if desired
In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 Tablespoons of the Garlic Gold® Oil on medium for several minutes. Add Andouille sausage and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is slightly browned. Add onion, leeks, and collards, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add the 2 Tablespoons flour and stir constantly until flour is slightly golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly, until all four cups have been added. Add diced potatoes and Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil); simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half and half.
For garnish, take a small heavy-bottomed frying pan, such as cast iron, and heat the remaining one Tablespoon Garlic Gold® Oil on medium; sauté the remaining ½ cup collard green pieces for one minute so they are still bright green; immediately remove from heat and set aside.
Garnish each bowl with sautéed collard greens ( using a small tong or fork helps remove just a few for each bowl), Garlic Gold® Nuggets, and freshly ground pepper. Serve with additional hot sauce if desired.
Variation: to give Colcannon soup a lighter twist, omit the sausage and the half and half; adjust the seasoning and add a few drops liquid smoke and/or additional sea salt if desired to taste.