We’ve made a few tweaks to classic steak enchilada recipes to make a version that’s lower in cholesterol and sodium, yet full of flavor. Tortillas are steamed instead of fried, and we sprinkle on Southwest Nuggets instead of the usual cheese. The steak filling incorporates lots of healthy vegetables, too, including bell peppers and zucchini. Best of all, it takes about an hour from start to finish, perfect for a weeknight dinner.
-Coco Morante, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold®
Write a review
- 3 cups red enchilada sauce (store-bought or homemade), divided
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil, divided
- 1 pound top sirloin or flank steak, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Garlic Gold® Southwest Nuggets
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Pour one cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9”-by-13” baking dish and spread out in a thin layer, all the way to the edges of the dish.
- Place the tortillas in a tortilla warmer and microwave until soft and pliable, one to two minutes. Keep covered.
- In a large (12-inch) skillet, heat two tablespoons of the Garlic Gold® Oil over medium heat. Sauté the diced steak until cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes, then set aside in a bowl.
- Add the remaining Garlic Gold® Oil to the skillet, along with the diced onion, peppers, zucchini, and salt. Sauté until the onions are softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the cooked steak to the vegetable mixture. Stir to combine.
- Lay a tortilla flat on a cutting board, and scoop a ½-cup of the steak and vegetables onto the center of the tortilla. Roll into an enchilada, then place seam side down in the baking pan. Continue until all of the tortillas and filling are used up and the pan is full.
- Cover the rolled enchiladas with the remaining two cups of enchilada sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven and sprinkle liberally with Garlic Gold® Southwest Nuggets. Serve two to three per person, with a side salad on the side for a complete meal.
- Substitute diced tofu for the steak. The enchiladas are already dairy free -- our Southwest Nuggets add so much flavor you’ll never miss the traditional cheese!
Garlic Gold - Organic Garlic https://garlicgold.com/