- 2 small Japanese eggplants or 1 large
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups all purpose unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup polenta
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Gold® Italian Herb Nuggets
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 large red tomatoes
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup fresh basil strips
- ¼ cup Garlic Gold® Oil
- Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets for garnish, if desired
Preferably the day before, slice the eggplant into ½ inch thick rounds. Sprinkle with the 1 Tablespoon sea salt and place in colander. Place a bowl filled ¾ of the way full with water that is slightly smaller than the colander on top of the colander. Set over sink or in another bowl and allow eggplant slices to sit in salt to get rid of excess water; they need to sit at least 3 hours, but 8-12 hours is even better. Rinse eggplant slices well with cool water and blot well with paper towels. Set aside.
Cut mozzarella into ½ inch cubes. Seed tomatoes and dice them into ½ inch dice. Toss in gently fresh basil. Set aside.
With a wire whisk, combine milk, egg, mustard, andGarlic Gold® Italian Herb Nuggets. Place in shallow bowl and set aside. In separate shallow dish, combine flour and polenta. In a large cast-iron or other heavy bottomed skilled, heat the ¼ cup Garlic Gold® Oil on medium for several minutes. First dredge each eggplant slice in the flour mixture to coat well, then in the egg and milk mixture to coat on both sides. Dredge again in the flour mixture for the final coat.
Fry eggplant slices on both sides until crispy and golden, like you were making French Toast, removing each slice and putting on plate.
When eggplant slices are done frying, to serve, layer each eggplant slice with the diced tomato and mozzarella cheese mixture, finishing finally with an eggplant slice on top and garnishing with additional Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets.
For a decorative effect, you can spoon some of the tomato mixture on the side and plate each serving, garnishing with additional strips of fresh basil. Serves 4-6.
- Take some eggplant. Slice it. Dredge it in beaten eggs. Heat up some Garlic Gold® Oil in your favorite frying pan and fry the egg-coated eggplant on both sides just like you were making French Toast. Drain fried slices on a plate and sprinkle liberally with Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets and consume immediately, like you were making a basket of French Fries or Fried Zucchini.
- If you have a family that actually expects it to be like dinner, layer the slices with your favorite jarred marinara sauce, warmed, and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these products:
- Garlic Gold® Oil
- Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets
- Garlic Gold® Italian Herb Nuggets