Garlic Gold® Oil
Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets
This Valentine’s Day, have your crêpes for dinner instead of dessert! We left out the sugar and used dark beer to amp up the roasty, toasty flavor of these delicate and lacy, savory pancakes. Filled with sautéed mushrooms, spinach and mozzarella cheese, then topped with Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets, they’re a perfect first course or vegetarian main dish for your special meal.
To make your romantic dinner a breeze, make the crêpes ahead of time. You’ll want to prepare the batter *at least* one night ahead, and maybe two if you won’t have time to make crêpes on the 14th. As you’re making them, stack the crêpes on a plate with layers of parchment in between each one, then cover them tightly with plastic wrap. They’ll keep for a day or two in the fridge, or in the freezer for up to a month.
The spinach and mushroom filling couldn’t be easier to put together. Just before dinner, sauté the vegetables with Garlic Gold® Oil, then spoon them onto the crêpes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets, then fold into pretty packets. Warm in the oven for a few minutes just before serving, to heat up the crêpes and melt the cheese.
Savory Crêpe Batter
makes about 20 crêpes
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup beer (we used a dark, seasonal ale)
- In a small (1-quart) saucepan, heat the milk and butter over medium-low heat, until the milk is warmed and the butter has just melted, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the milk and butter into a large mixing bowl, then add the flour, salt, and eggs. Use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients just until no lumps remain, using a silicone spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the beer and gently stir until just combined. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight, and up to two days.
- Remove the batter from the refrigerator and place a medium (9 1/2-inch) crêpe pan on the stove over a medium-low flame. Add a quarter teaspoon of butter to the pan, swirling to distribute it evenly.
- Pour a scant 1/3 cup of batter into the pan, then quickly swirl to spread the batter out evenly over the entire bottom of the pan. Let cook for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook for about 30 seconds on the second side.
- Transfer crêpes to a plate as you go, placing a layer of parchment paper between each one.
Spinach and Mushroom Crêpe Filling
makes enough to fill 8 crêpes
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® Oil
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets
- Coat a 9-inch by 9-inch baking pan lightly with vegetable oil and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the Garlic Gold® Oil in a medium (10-inch) skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes, until they have shrunk in size and are a rich golden brown.
- Add the spinach to the skillet, cover, and turn off the heat, letting the spinach wilt on top of the mushrooms. After 5 minutes, remove lid and stir the spinach into the mushrooms.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the vegetable mixture into the middle of a crepe, then sprinkle on two tablespoons of mozzarella cheese. Tuck in the sides and roll, just like you would a burrito or spring roll.
- Place the rolled crêpes in the baking pan as you go. When all of the crêpes are in the baking pan, place in the oven for 10 minutes, just enough to warm them through and ensure that the filling is piping hot. Sprinkle liberally with Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets and serve.