This tomato soup tastes rich and creamy even though it contains no cream! That’s because we blend it up with a not-so-secret ingredient: a slice of whole grain bread. This trick works like a charm, giving the soup a thick, rich texture you’ll love. Dairy-free and delicious, you can even make it vegan by subbing in vegetable broth for the chicken broth if you like.
To garnish the soup, we simply dice a couple more pieces of bread and toast them up with Garlic Gold® Nuggets in Oil. Serve your soup with a topping of garlic croutons for a little crunch in every bite!
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® Nuggets in Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (24-ounce) jar crushed tomatoes
- 1 slice whole grain bread, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- In a medium (3-quart) heavy bottomed saucepan or soup pot, heat the Garlic Gold® Nuggets in Oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and salt. Give the vegetables a stir, then cover the pot and let cook for 10 minutes, until vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes and diced bread to the pot and stir to combine. Cover the pot again and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend for about one minute at high speed, until very smooth. Return the blended mixture to the pot, stir in the chicken broth and warm over low heat, until piping hot.
- When the soup is ready, make the croutons: Toss the diced bread with the Garlic Gold® Nuggets in Oil and toast until lightly browned, about two minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle a handful of croutons on top. Top the soup with a final sprinkle of Italian Herb Nuggets and serve hot.