- ¼ cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup roasted, salted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cup Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- Pinch Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets, to taste
Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet, such as cast iron on medium; add the pumpkin seeds, peanuts, peppercorns, coriander, and cumin seeds and toast 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat and put in bowl to cool. Add fresh mint leaves and grind with either a mortar and pestle or an electric spice or coffee grinder until the seeds and nuts are coarsely crushed. Add Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil) and stir. Allow to sit at least 4 hours for flavors to develop, then add Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets, to taste. Serve as a dipping oil for your favorite toasted bread, with toasted pita chips for a party appetizer, or mix a little with cooked brown rice, teff, or quinoa, instead of a pat of butter.
Makes 1 ½ cups.
- This recipe is even better when made ahead of time; the flavors really blend over time, and the spiced oil will keep in the fridge up to 1 month or up to a year in the freezer.
- Don’t have fresh mint handy? Leave it out, or substitute cilantro for a different flavor.
- Don’t have a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder? Try a rolling pin with the spices inside 2 large ziploc-type bags (2 layers of bags in case one breaks, not 2 separate bags); roll, crush, or otherwise take out all of your aggressions on the spices until they resemble coarse sand.
- Make a spice list the next time you visit your favorite health food store. Many have spices in bulk that are very economical and you can buy just what you need or buy extra. They keep well in the freezer; then you have them all ready to go for your favorite recipes.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these products:
- Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets