- 10 tangerines or 5 large oranges
- 1 red onion
- 1/3 cup oil cured black olives, finely chopped or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup tangerine or orange juice
- 6 Tablespoons Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- 2 Tablespoons mild honey (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups your favorite salad green mix
Peel and thinly slice red onion. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt in colander and place a bowl slightly smaller than colander filled with water on top of colander. Place colander over sink or another bowl to drain liquid and allow the onion slices to sit at least 3 hours, preferably up to 8 to 10 hours. Rinse onion slices well and blot excess water with paper towels.
Peel tangerines and slice thinly, reserving the juice you get from slicing for the ¼ cup juice called for in the recipe. For each salad, layer tangerine and onion slices on a bed of salad greens. Combine juice, honey, Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil), sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste for the dressing. Drizzle dressing over all of it and garnish with the oil cured black olives or cranberries last.
- This is a great recipe to throw together for a fast weeknight dinner. It is very flexible. If you don’t have the olives handy, or the cranberries, or the red onion, leave those out. This time of year all the stores have lots of wonderful boxes of tangerines that are easy to grab, and of course, salad greens. Some people are even lucky enough to use their own oranges they grow or get from the farmers market. While you are at the farmers market, you can pick up some great local, raw honeys that add wonders to the flavor of this recipe.
- If you don’t have time to do the salting process, skip it, just use a lot less onion or make sure you carry a lot more breath drops, as the onion flavor will be way stronger without doing the salting process.
- Another quick tip: toss on about ¼ cup raw or toasted almonds on top and you can eat this salad as a light main dish for lunch or dinner… How easy is that???
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these products:
- Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets