- 2 16 ounce cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® Oil
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 – 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- Sea Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro and additional Garlic Gold® Nuggets for garnish, if desired
Heat the Garlic Gold® Oil in a large soup kettle over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté about 8 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add chili powder and ginger and sauté another 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until spices bloom. Add the water and coconut milk and bring to a simmer, reducing heat to low and simmering; uncover for about 30 minutes, until sauce thickens.
Stir in the black eyed peas and allow to simmer another 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, to blend flavors. Garnish with cilantro and
Garlic Gold® Nuggets and serve.
- This soup freezes beautifully, the flavors really blend over time.
- Black beans, adzuki beans, or any other bean you have handy in your cupboard can be substituted for the black eyed peas; you can also substitute dried beans, soaked 8 hours and drained for the canned beans.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these products:
- Garlic Gold® Oil
- Garlic Gold® Nuggets