Vegan, Gluten Free
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced lengthwise in ½ inch slices so they resemble the shape of lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil
- Sea Salt
- 8 ounces mozzarella and provolone blend shredded cheese, or your favorite pizza-type cheese
- ¼ cup Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets
- 2 pounds fresh garden tomatoes (or other high quality in-season tomatoes)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup fresh basil, cut into julienne strips
Take the long zucchini slices and sprinkle liberally with sea salt; place in large colander. Weigh down with a medium bowl filled with water and place in sink or in another bowl to drain excess liquid from the zucchini; leave for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Rinse thoroughly and blot well with paper towels.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss salted zucchini slices liberally with 2 tablespoons of the Garlic Gold® Oil. Place each long zucchini slice down on a cookie sheet with rims about one inch apart from each other, like you were putting bacon slices in a pan. Roast zucchini for approximately 20 minutes, until lightly golden,turning slices over halfway through and rotating cookie sheet.
While zucchini slices are roasting, take a very large soup kettle, fill it with water, and heat to boiling. When water is boiling, turn the heat to low and add the tomatoes; boil for 1-2 minutes to loosen skin. Remove tomatoes from boiling water with slotted spoon and set aside. Dice tomatoes and remove seeds. Combine diced tomatoes with red pepper flakes, fresh basil strips, and the remaining one tablespoon Garlic Gold® Oil.
When zucchini slices are done, remove from oven and allow to cool. While zucchini is cooling, combine the shredded cheese with the Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets.
Spread 1 cup of the diced tomato mixture on a 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Carefully layer some of the roasted zucchini slices over that, then sprinkle about 1/3 of the shredded cheese mixture over that. Repeat process until all zucchini and sauce is used up, finishing with a layer of the cheese mixture on top.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese on top is golden and bubbly.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these products:
- Garlic Gold® Parmesan Nuggets
- Garlic Gold® Oil