You won’t be able to get enough of these tender fish fillets with their crispy tortilla chip crust! Inspired by the delicious fish tacos of Southern California, these tilapia fillets make for an awesome weeknight dinner dish.
The crunchy coating has just two ingredients: tortilla chips and our Garlic Gold® Southwest Nuggets. The fillets are baked, not fried, and they cook to golden brown perfection in the oven in just about 15 minutes. How easy is that?
Serve the fish fillets on a bed of shredded cabbage, with plenty of lime wedges to squeeze over the top. They’re great with rice and beans, or tucked into steamed corn tortillas with lots of salsa on top. Enjoy!
- 3 ounces (about 3 dozen) tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Southwest Nuggets
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a food processor, combine the tortilla chips and Garlic Gold® Southwest Nuggets. Pulse until the chips are finely crushed. Pour the mixture out onto a plate and set aside.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to beat the egg and water until well mixed.
- Dip one of the tilapia fillets into the egg mixture, letting it drip off a bit so it has a thin coating. Gently lay the fillet onto the plate of crushed tortilla chips, using a fork to flip it over to fully coat the fish. Transfer the fillet to the lined baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the fillets.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until the fish is white and flaky all the way to the center of each fillet.