We love braised chicken legs for a warming Fall or Winter dinner! These are simmered in a flavorful tomato sauce dotted with succulent, oil-cured black olives.
-Coco Harris, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold
Slow Cooker Braised Chicken Legs with Olives and Tomatoes
Write a review
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold Oil
- 4 whole chicken legs (leg and thigh attached)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/8″ half moons
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Gold Italian Herb Nuggets
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 quart-size jar organic strained tomatoes (or one large can of tomato sauce)
- 1 cup oil-cured black olives
- In a large (12-inch) non-stick skillet, heat the Garlic Gold Oil over a medium flame.
- Place the chicken thighs gently into the dutch oven, browning them for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken thighs and place in a medium (4 to 5-quart) slow cooker.
- Add the onion, Garlic Gold Italian Herb Nuggets, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Sauté for about five minutes, until the onions are softened and a little bit browned.
- Add the wine, water, tomatoes, and olives to the skillet. Stir everything around a bit to bring up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the mixture from the skillet to the slow cooker with the chicken thighs. Set on low and let cook for 8 hours, or set on high and let cook for 4 hours.
- Serve over cooked rice or pasta, or with crusty bread on the side. Top with more Italian Nuggets if desired.
Garlic Gold - Organic Garlic https://garlicgold.com/