- 1/2 cup Garlic Gold® Oil, divided
- 3 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced into 1/4″ half-moons
- 2 tablespoons light miso paste
- 2 pounds flank steak, cut against the grain into 2″-wide strips
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat 1/4 cup of the Garlic Gold® Oil in a large (12″) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and miso paste, and stir together until the miso is evenly distributed. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes, uncovering to stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and just beginning to brown.
2. Transfer the onion mixture to a medium (6-quart) slow cooker and set aside.
3. Place the large skillet back on the stove, and add the remaining 1/4 cup of Garlic Gold® Oil. In two batches, add the steak strips to the pan and brown for five minutes on each side, then place in the slow cooker on top of the sautéed onions.
4. Add the vinegar to the skillet and use a spatula to scrape off all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes, maple syrup, and pepper and stir to combine.
5. Pour the mixture from the skillet over the steak and onions in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 4 hours.
6. Remove the steak from the slow cooker, and use a fork to break it up into shreds. Add the shredded steak back to the slow cooker and stir until the sauce is evenly distributed.
7. Serve with cooked rice or warm tortillas. Serves 6.