Did you know that the slow cooker is absolutely perfect for cooking tender, delicious beans? Spicy Slow Cooker Black Beans will fill your home with an amazing aroma as they simmer all day long. We’ve included our favorite mix of hot peppers (substitute bell pepper for a mild batch of beans), smoky and lean Canadian Bacon, and Garlic Gold Oil for layers of savory flavor.
This recipe makes a big batch of beans, enough to fill a 5-quart slow cooker! Enjoy them ladled over cooked rice for a hearty and easy one-bowl dinner, then freeze the leftovers in 1-cup containers for meals to come.
You can find Canadian bacon at most markets — it is also known as back bacon or Irish Bacon. It is much leaner than traditional bacon, and will add lots of flavor to your beans without all of the extra animal fat and cholesterol. You can also substitute a ham hock, removing it when the meat begins to fall off the bone. Shred the meat, return it to the pot, and discard the bone. For a vegetarian version, add a couple teaspoons of ground chipotle powder or smoked paprika.
– Coco Harris, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold
- 2 lbs. dried black beans
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 medium poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 medium serrano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 C. coarsely chopped cilantro, divided
- 8 oz. Canadian bacon, diced
- 2/3 C. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 C. olive oil
- 3/4 C. Garlic Gold Oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Garlic Gold Southwest Nuggets
- chopped red onion
- Soak the black beans for 8-12 hours, changing water once during soaking.
- Rinse the beans and place in a medium (5-quart) slow cooker. Add water until it comes up an inch above the beans, leaving at least 2 inches of headspace in your slow cooker to avoid boil-overs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, reserving half of the cilantro and 1/4 cup of the Garlic Gold Oil. Stir and set on high for 1 hour, then turn down to low and let cook for at least 8 hours, until the beans have begun to break down and thicken.
- Add the remaining cilantro and Garlic Gold Oil, stir and adjust for seasoning. Serve over rice or as a side dish with beef, pork, or chicken. Garnish with Garlic Gold Southwest Nuggets and chopped red onion.