There’s nothing more delicious than warm, chewy flour tortillas straight out of the pan. Made with the best organic ingredients and rolled out with love and care, they’re the perfect addition to a family dinner of fajitas, burritos, or soft tacos.
Many traditional recipes include lard, but here we use Garlic Gold® Oil. Not only does this mean our tortillas are better for you (and vegan too!), they’ve got the perfect hint of savory, roasted garlic flavor. We also like to use organic bread flour, which has higher protein content than regular all-purpose flour. This makes the tortillas extra chewy and toothsome, and more nutritious too.
-Coco Harris, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold
- 2 cups organic unbleached bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil
- ¾ cup water
1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Drizzle the Garlic Gold® Oil into the flour mixture, using your fingers to distribute the oil evenly. Add the water and stir with a dough whisk or wooden spoon until all of the flour is absorbed.
2. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and use a dough scraper or knife to cut the dough into 12 equal pieces.
3. Heat a small (8”) non-stick skillet over a medium-low flame. While the skillet is heating, roll out the first dough ball into a thin tortilla. Transfer to skillet and cook for a minute on each side, until bubbly and browned. Continue rolling out the tortillas and cooking them one by one, stacking them between paper towels to keep warm.
Makes 12 tortillas.