Happy equinox, Garlic Gold® Fans! We’ve made you a big, beautiful omelet featuring our favorite seasonal ingredient: green garlic. Tender garlic shoots emerge from the ground each spring, and are only in produce markets for a short time — call ahead to make sure your local grocer or farmer’s market is carrying them this week.
Green garlic is sauteed with bacon to make a delicious, savory filling for this big, fluffy 3-egg omelet. Serve it with whole-grain toast for a weekend breakfast — it’s generously sized to feed two regular appetites, or one very big one!
We top our omelet with Garlic Gold® Nuggets for an extra crunchy topping that ties in with the fresh green garlic filling. It’s a wonderful combination of flavors you can only get this time of year.
-Coco Harris, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold
Garlic Gold® Nuggets
- 2 slices of thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 bunch (4 medium stalks) green garlic, sliced into thin rounds
- 3 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Garlic Gold® Nuggets
- Heat a nonstick skillet over a medium flame. Add the diced bacon and sauté until some of the fat has rendered but the bacon is still soft, about three minutes.
- Add the green garlic to the skillet, toss with bacon, and sauté until bacon is fully cooked and the green onions have softened and become a bit translucent. Set the mixture aside, making sure to leave a bit of the bacon fat in the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the eggs and salt until fully beaten and a bit frothy. Pour into the heated skillet, agitating with a spatula to create some large curds.
- When the omelet is mostly set but still a bit wet on top, pour the green garlic and bacon filling onto one half of the omelet.
- Transfer the omelet onto a serving plate, folding it over as you slide it out of the pan. Sprinkle generously with Garlic Gold® Nuggets and serve hot.