- ¼ cup Garlic Gold® Nuggets in Oil
- 2 pounds summer squash, such as zucchini or yellow squash, grated
- 2 medium onions, grated
- 2 Tablespoons sea salt
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, cut in julienne strips
- 2 large pieces sourdough or other white bread, toasted lightly and cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 ounce freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar or other sharp cheese
Combine grated squash, grated onion, and 1 Tablespoon sea salt. Put mixture in colander (a perforated utensil for draining food) that is placed over a sink or bowl. Place on top of grated mixture either in a slightly smaller bowl to weigh it down, or produce bag filled with water. Allow to stand at least 1 hour, but preferably all day or overnight.
Place tomato slices on top of 3 layers of paper towels on top of a few large plates or cookie sheet. Sprinkle tomatoes with 1 teaspoon sea salt. Allow to stand 30 minutes or so while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Rinse the squash/onion mixture in the colander to rinse away excess salt. Blot well with paper towels. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blot the squash mixture with paper towels, and put mixture in a large (13 by 9 inch) casserole dish. Spread out evenly and pat so it is like a thick bottom crust on a pie. Blot the tomato slices with paper towels and put sliced tomatoes on top of squash mixture. Sprinkle chopped basil on top of that. Sprinkle with, in the following order, freshly ground pepper,
Garlic Gold® Nuggets in Oil, small bread pieces, sharp cheese, then grated parmesan.
Bake from 15-20 minutes until bubbling and cheese is lightly browned. Serve.
If you liked this Recipe, you will love these products:
- Garlic Gold® Nuggets
- Garlic Gold® Oil