This hearty soup gets its striking ruby red color from beets, one of the most nutritious root vegetables around. We packed our recipe with lots of winter produce, so don’t be afraid if it looks like there isn’t enough broth in the pot — as the soup simmers, the cabbage and onions will soften and give up their liquid, melting down into the soup. A dollop of Garlic Gold® infused yogurt on top is the perfect finishing touch.
BEET SOUP (BORSCHT) WITH GARLIC YOGURT
Write a review
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® (Nuggets in Oil)
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 pound bone-in beef shank
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 small beets, peeled and cut into 1/3” pieces
- 3 small rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1/3” pieces
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/3” pieces
- 4 cups thinly sliced white cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt and Garlic Gold® (Nuggets in oil). Set aside in refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld before serving.
- In a 5-quart heavy-bottomed soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat, bring the beef broth and beef shank to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for an hour and a half, until meat is tender and beginning to pull away from the bone.
- Remove the beef shank from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Use a spoon or ladle to skim most of the fat from the top of the broth.
- When the meat has cooled, chop it into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot, along with the red onion, beets, rutabagas, potato, cabbage, and dill.
- Turn the heat back up to medium, bring to a boil, then turn down to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with a dollop of the Garlic Gold® yogurt. Garnish with dill and serve.
Garlic Gold - Organic Garlic https://garlicgold.com/