Have you ever cooked with tempeh? If not, it’s time to add this nutritious staple to your recipe repertoire! It’s a delicious source of protein for vegans and omnivores alike. Made from soybeans and grains, it comes in 8-ounce packages and is sold in health food stores and well-stocked grocery stores. You’ll find it in the refrigerated section, right next to the blocks of tofu.
Tempeh has a slightly nutty taste and a toothsome, chewy texture. I like to cut it into small pieces, then dry them out in a low oven for a bit before tossing with a marinade. This allows the squares of tempeh to get nice and crisp, and intensifies the toasty, savory flavor.
In this simple, four ingredient recipe, chickpeas are tossed with tempeh, barbeque sauce, and Garlic Gold® oil, then quickly roasted until well browned. Serve with brown rice and steamed broccoli for dinner, and if you’ve got leftovers, sprinkle on top of your lunch salad for a healthy midday meal.
-Coco Morante, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold®
- 2 packages of multi-grain tempeh (8 ounces each)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 250ºF.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the tempeh into approximately 1/3-inch pieces, about the same size as chickpeas.
- Spread out the tempeh on the lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, just to dry it out a bit before the final roasting.
- Remove the tempeh from the oven and place it in a medium mixing bowl. Turn the oven up to 425ºF.
- Add the chickpeas, barbecue sauce, and Garlic Gold® Oil to the bowl with the tempeh, then toss everything together until evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture out on the lined baking sheet, then place back in the oven until well-browned but not blackened, about 25 minutes.