- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® Oil
- 4 bone-in rib end pork chops, 1 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2″ dice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bunches (1 dozen leaves) collard greens, destemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 15-ounce can black eyed peas, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® Nuggets
- freshly ground black pepper
- hot sauce
Fry bacon in a large Dutch oven on stove on medium heat until crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer bacon onto a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the Dutch oven, then add the Garlic Gold® oil and return to the stove over medium heat. Sear pork chops on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side. Set pork chops aside.
Fry onion in the bacon grease/Garlic Gold® Oil remaining in Dutch oven on medium, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add chicken stock, collard greens, black eyed peas, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine ingredients.
Layer the pork chops on top of the collards and black eyed peas in the Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, until pork chops are cooked throughout and collards are tender.
To serve, ladle greens and black eyed pea mixture into a large soup bowl. Place a pork chop on top, then sprinkle liberally with Garlic Gold® Nuggets. Serve with ground black pepper and hot sauce.