- 8 bone-in chicken thighs or 4 whole bone-in, skin-on chicken legs(preferably organic and/or free range)
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (preferably organic and/or free range)
- 1/3 cup Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- Juice from 2 fresh limes
- 2-4 Tablespoons hot sauce, depending on taste
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon mild honey (optional)
- 2 Teaspoons paprika
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup parsley, finely minced
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Bay leaf, crumbled
- Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients except chicken in blender and blend for 30 seconds. Taste and adjust seasonings. Pour half of the mixture from blender into small bowl, cover, and refrigerate for later. Pour remaining sauce mixture over the chicken pieces to marinade, making sure the chicken gets coated completely on all sides with sauce. Marinade at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Light a large chimney starter filled with hardwood charcoal and allow to burn until all charcoal is gray, about 20 minutes. Stack most of the coals on one side of the grill. Spread some of the coals to the middle of the barbecue, leaving one side empty of coals. Put lid on barbecue and allow grate to get very hot before placing chicken on it, about 5 minutes.
Oil, grate, and place chicken, skin side down on hottest part of the grill. Grill for about 3 minutes until it gets nice sear marks on it. Then, turn chicken over to other side with tongs. Move chicken thighs or legs to hotter part of the grill, and move chicken breasts to the part of the grill that has no coals.
Continue to cook, covered, brushing every 5 minutes with marinade, until chicken is done, about 15-20 minutes for legs or thighs, 30 minutes for chicken breasts. (A meat thermometer should register 165 degrees for dark meat and 160 degrees for breasts.) Remove the cover when done and allow chickens to cook, skin side down, cover off, on the hottest part of the barbecue until skin gets crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
Serve immediately with extra marinade.
- So many places now have rotisserie chickens, grilled chickens, and other chickens. It seems chickens are everywhere except crossing the road… So, buy some chicken already cooked and take your Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil) and throw in a little hot sauce, lemon or line juice. (Usually the pre-cooked chickens already have plenty of salt.) Brush on top, dunk, dip, do whatever you like with this spicy sauce and pre-cooked chicken. So easy!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these products:
- Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets