Soup is so comforting when it’s cold outside. Roast up a winter squash for this warming, gorgeously golden soup, perfect for the holidays or anytime! This recipe uses a sweet and hearty kabocha squash, but any other orange-fleshed winter variety would work well too — use butternut, sugar pie pumpkin, kuri or hubbard if you please.
For the sweetest, best flavor, we roast our squash and onions with Garlic Gold® Oil. This way, there’s no soup pot required — it goes straight from sheet pan to blender to bowl! How great is that? Just make sure to blend it in small batches, filling your blender only halfway.
Serve this soup as the first course for a holiday meal, or as a light lunch paired with a salad and a slice of crusty bread. Oh, and be sure to top it with Garlic Gold® Nuggets. That little bit of garlicky crunch is the best part.
- 1 small (2 to 2 1/2 pound) kabocha or other winter squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold® Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, warmed
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Spread out the squash and onions on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the vegetables with the Garlic Gold® Oil and sprinkle on the salt. Stir everything up to make sure all of the squash has a nice coating of oil.
- Roast the squash for 40 minutes, until it's soft and the onions are just beginning to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Place half of the roasted vegetables in a blender, along with two cups of the chicken broth. Blend until smooth. Repeat with the remaining vegetables in one more batch, until all of the soup is blended.
- Serve the soup hot, drizzled with yogurt and topped with Garlic Gold® Nuggets.