We’ve got the perfect casserole for your upcoming holiday celebration! Packed with savory sausages and peppers, it’s delicious bite after
bite. Your guests will be asking you for the recipe, and you’ll have to tell them your secret: it’s Garlic Gold®!
Our other secret ingredient is actually a secret technique: we roast all of the vegetables before they go into the casserole. The peppers,
onions, and sweet potatoes have time to get caramelized and golden brown this way, and you can even do this step ahead of time if you
like! You can brown the sausage and roast the vegetables the night before, so it’s super easy to assemble and bake the casserole in the
Serve this casserole at a holiday get together, or any time you need a
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Gold® Oil (plus more to oil the casserole dish)
- 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage (pork or chicken)
- 1 dozen large eggs
- ¼ cup Garlic Gold® Italian Herb Nuggets
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or a blend)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly (to garnish)
- Roast the vegetables: Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spread out the peppers, onion, and sweet potato on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle with the Garlic Gold® Oil and roast for 45 minutes or until golden brown, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the vegetables are roasting, brown the sausage: In a large skillet over medium heat, break up the Italian sausage and sauté until cooked through. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Assemble the casserole: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and Garlic Gold® Italian Herb Nuggets.
- Oil a 9x13 inch casserole dish lightly with a drizzle of Garlic Gold® Oil, using a pastry brush or paper towel to make make sure the oil gets into all of the corners of the dish.
- Spread out the roasted vegetables and sausage in an even layer in the casserole, then sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the casserole. Pour the egg mixture on top.
- Bake the casserole: Lower the oven temperature to 350ºF. Cover the casserole tightly with foil (or with a lid if it has one) and bake for 40 minutes, until cooked through and piping hot. For a bubbly browned top, uncover the casserole and run it under the broiler for about two minutes, watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Wait 10 minutes before slicing, then cut into squares and serve with green onions sprinkled on top.
sprinkle some green onions on top, and serve it up piping hot!