This Healthy Jicama Salad is the perfect recipe to kick off your your New Year’s resolutions — it’s time to eat more veggies and make healthful choices! A crunchy mix of jicama, carrots and red bell pepper are cut into julienne strips, then dressed with a spicy and tangy mix of Garlic Gold®, lime juice, and chili powder. There’s no need to whip up a separate salad dressing — just toss everything together and serve.
Slicing vegetables in a perfect julienne makes this salad so pretty. You can do it by hand or use a julienne slicer, being sure to use a cut-proof glove for extra safety.
Serve jicama salad alongside a plate of fish tacos, or on a bed of lettuce and top with grilled chicken or steak for a low-carb meal.
-Coco Harris, Recipe Editor for Garlic Gold®
1 lb. jicama
1 red bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon finely grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon Garlic Gold® (nuggets in olive oil)
½ to 1 whole lime (to taste)
¼ teaspoon powdered chili (or to taste)
½ teaspoon flaked sea salt
1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
1. Peel and julienne jicama and carrots. Remove seeds from red bell pepper and slice into thin strips.
2. Put prepared jicama, carrots, and red bell pepper into a serving bowl.
3. Add ginger, Garlic Gold®, and lime juice (to taste) and toss.
4. Mix powdered chili with sea salt. Then sprinkle on top of salad.
5. Top with a sprinkle of cilantro or Italian parsley.
· Peel and julienne raw broccoli stems and add to vegetables.
· Peel and julienne raw zucchini and add to vegetables.
· Add sliced purple grapes or pomegranate seeds.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Oster.