- 4 cups shredded cabbage (about ½ of a large cabbage)
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 habanero chilies, seeded and chopped, depending on level of heat desired
- For a more mild slaw, 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- ½ cup brown rice vinegar
- ¼ cup Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1-3 tablespoons sugar, to taste (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- Freshly ground pepper and additional Garlic Gold® Sea Salt Nuggets to taste
Combine all slaw ingredients and place in colander. Put a bowl slightly smaller than the colander filled with water ¾ of the way full to weigh down ingredients and remove excess water. Place filled bowl on top of coleslaw mixture in colander and allow to sit at least 2 hours up to overnight, putting a bowl under it to catch juices or placing colander in sink.
Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients in glass or other non-metal bowl so they will have time to dissolve. Cover and refrigerate.
Rinse coleslaw mixture under cool water to rinse away excess salt and sugar. Blot with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. Combine with dressing. Allow to chill and marinade at least 24 hours before serving. It can be made up to a week ahead.
- If you serve this meal immediately and eat all of it, you can buy pre-shredded cabbage and carrot mixtures and skip the salting process. Basically, you just buy some pre-shredded something that looks good to you. Then, mix together whatever vinegar you have handy with a little Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil) and a pinch of sea salt to taste and you are done. You want spice? Throw in some crushed chili flakes from your family’s latest pizza jag. You have limes? Great, squeeze some lime juice on it. Throw protein of your choice over it and call it dinner…
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these products:
- Garlic Gold® (nuggets in oil)
- Garlic Gold® Nuggets